Monday, March 14, 2011

The First Emperor: China's Entombed Warriors

 

Me with Terracotta Warrior replica
I had a fantastic weekend! filled with fun and adventure. On Saturday I went to the AGNSW to see the 'The First Emperor: China's Entombed Warriors' exhibition. The exhibition looks at one of the worlds greatest archeological excavations of the 20th century. The discovery of the pit filled with thousands of terracotta warriors that were build and put there over 2000 years ago. This underground army was created and put there to protect the tomb of the first Emperor of China, Qin Shihuang (259–210 BCE) in readiness for the afterlife. The exhibition showed over 120 rare objects, including ten complete terracotta warrior figures including foot soldiers, generals, kneeling bowmen and horses. Displayed alongside these iconic figures will be ceremonial vessels and bells, ornamental gold and jade, weapons and armour, palatial architectural remains, pottery and ceramics. Significant recent finds which have rarely been seen outside of China include an exceptional life-size bronze crane and swan, only discovered in the last decade. It was such a rare opportunity to see these pieces outside of China and so up close. I have to say never was I interested to go over to China for my travels but after this exhibition I would love to see these warriors in there pit. The crane and swan were so beautful aswell. I could jst imagine having one of them in my garden. The gallery did a great job in displaying the pieces. It was a shame you couldn't take photo's of the actual photo's. Luckily they had one of the bronze chariots on display at the gallery enrance which you could take picture with. Also they had life sized replica's of the terracotta tarriors instead of forking out $2000 we brought a life sized head of a terrcotta warrior for $65.
We also went and saw the Artexpress exhibition which displays seleted works by year 12 students doing Visual Arts. Seeing the exhibtion remeinded me of when I was doing my major and I was selected to go into the AGNSW Artexpress exhibiton. Unfortunately they didn't end of putting it in the exhibiton since they thought it was too controversial and such. Anyway it was a fun filled day with my family. Then on Sunday I spent taking photo's for my photography class and doing journal work for class.

2 lovely comments:

Anonymous said...

your blog is super! love it!:) julietspen.blogspot.com

Girl holding a paintbrush said...

Thankyou :) xo

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP