Thursday, February 24, 2011

Christchurch disaster

Part of the Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament in Christchurch lies in ruin.
I cannot even begin to describe how miserable I am feeling for the people of Churchchrist and all of New Zealand. It's been terrible to see this all keep unfolding and all that has been lost over the past days. I feel horrible that I can't do much else being here in Australia, but my my thoughts and prayers are with those who have been affected in anyway by this travesty.
Already 92 people have been pulled from the rubble and have been put in a temporary morgue. Police say that the number is expected to rise considerably as the days go on. The list of missing stands at 238. Hopes of finding survivors in the rubble of quake-ravaged Christchurch are slowly fading as the second day following the devastating quake draws to a end. 
Amanda from Here Comes The Sun has written a touching post with different links to the appeal - if you need information or you'd like to make a contribution.
Kent Manning (left) and his sister Libby react with their father, who asked not to identified, after they were told by police that there was no hope of finding Kent and Libby's mother alive in a collapsed building Wednesday
When I was reading this that showed pictures from the event and I saw this picture and read the caption I really touched me. I'm in tears whenever I think about the people who have lost loved ones because I couldn't even dare to dream what it would be like if it happened to me or anyone I knew. If this has taught me anything it's that we can never take a single day for granted. Always let people that you love and care about know whenever you have the chance to.

0 lovely comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP